Mojang has provided the patch for the PS4 players regarding the Minecraft Error S-401. But still few players are facing this issue.
Minecraft PS4 Error S-401 has occurred due to corrupt files or missing files or it can be infected server files( in rare cases ). It can be simply fixed by repairing the game or reinstalling the game on your PS4. Make sure when you’re downloading the game you have a stable connection as an unstable internet connection can cause the files to get corrupted.
In previous versions of Minecraft, this issue was common and mainly occurs for windows users, as they always get some files corrupted by themselves or by viruses.
Why am I getting an S-401 error?
As mentioned above it can be due to corrupt, missing, or infected Minecraft files, which you got while downloading files over the internet.
PS4 is safe from viruses for now, but still, it can get the infected files from the different servers like your friend server that you are trying to join or have joined. Because your friend has created a server on their Windows PC or different OS that are not immune from virus attack.
In that case, your game on PS4 can also read the infected file which can be corrupted or make other files on PS4 corrupted.
But don’t worry it can be fixed just follow these steps and you are good to go.
How do I fix Minecraft Error S-401 on PS4?
There are a few methods that can help you to fix this Error S-401 on PS4 of Minecraft.
Re-start the game
The first thing you should do when then unusual Error occurs on your PS4 is to just simply close the game completely and restart the game.
Press the PS button on your PlayStation 4 controller to bring up your Home screen. Press the Options button, and select Close Application.
And after that just navigate to the Minecraft game on your screen and open it.
Now moving to the next method as this method can not just help you with the issue only related to those games only. Mentioned downed method can help you with other game issues also.
Clearing game cache
To delete the game cache of Minecraft on PS4, you need to perform the following steps:
- Press and hold the PlayStation button on your controller and then select the Turn Off PS4 option.
- Immediately unplugs the power cable just right after the power light stops blinking in front of you.
- Wait for 30 seconds and then reconnect the power cord and power on the PS4.
- Load the game for which you want to clear the cache and while the game is loading, press and hold the L1 + R1 buttons.
- By doing so, the game will clear its cache. However, this process might take a few minutes to complete, so be patient.
After the games open visit the store and try to download the game again. My friend’s issue has got resolved by doing this, but not mine. But there is no other solution left other than this where I have re-download the game again.
Backing up and Reinstalling the game
Before deleting the game let’s first back up all the world’s data online or on your USB stick. Follow these steps and you’re good to go:
- Open the PS4 settings
- Select Application Saved Data Management
- A pop will appear if you have any game running in your background, simply hit the OK button to close it.
- Select the Data in System Storage
- From there you will get the option to upload the game data to online storage or to the USB stick( remember to plug the USB stick in at least 16GB ).
- Select the Upload to Online Storage or Copy to USB Storage Device.
- Then select the Minecraft game from the game list that will appear to take a backup( you can also take a backup of any game like this ).
- On the next screen, you will see a list of your previous world data and game data.
- Hit the Select all button to select all files to backup all the game data related to Minecraft.
- And after that simply hit the Upload Button that you can see at the bottom right side of the screen.
After backing up now you can delete the game and reinstall the game from the store.
Delete the game
Navigate to your Minecraft game on PlayStation 4 and then press the Options button on your controller. In the menu to the right of your screen, select “Delete.” Confirm that you want to remove your game by choosing “OK.”
To reinstall the game there are 2-3 methods, so just follow these steps:
Installing the Game
- Select Game Library from your Games home.
- Select the purchased game > Download. The game will install automatically. Depending on the game, you may have the option to copy and play a portion of the game right away.
- To purchase and download add-ons, search for the game in PlayStation Store, select the game hub, and scroll to the Add-Ons section.
To Download the game remotely on your PS4
When you purchase a game, you can choose to start the download remotely via a web browser or PlayStation App. To start a remote download, you need to set up automatic downloads for your console.
- Sign in to PlayStation.com and select My PlayStation > Game Library, or open PlayStation App and select Game Library > Purchased.
- Select the game you want to download from your purchased list and select Download.
- Select which linked PS5 console or PS4 console you would like to download to.
- Your game will begin downloading automatically.
Or just visit the PlayStation Guide to know more about how you can download the games on your console.
After performing these solutions I hope the issue that you are facing with Minecraft PS4 Error S-401 has been resolved, but in case you need further support please connect with us through social media platforms and we love to help you.